Sunday, June 6, 2010

Health food? Who me?

I had a pretty rough swim & bike workout Saturday done during midday, aka, the hottest time of the day.  I decided to swim at the outdoor pool for a change and minorly neglected to think through the weekend afternoon pool schedule.  For those who don’t know (me), Saturday afternoons are the prime time for families to go to the pool.  I wish i had a picture of it: I rolled up on my TT/Tri bike, wearing a trisuit to a pool with ~300 kids, parents, and assorted preteens.  Thankfully there is an activity pool to hide most of the real young kids in, but the pool was crowded nonetheless.  I was able to sneak in to one of the three lanes *the only one not being hung on or used as a public forum* and knocked out a quick workout.  I forgot how much difference the sun makes in a pool swim, it sure was nice to be in natural lighting. 

I finished my swim and lazily got my things together, left my bag at the desk, and set out on my ride.  I was excited about doing the whole multisport thing and was anxious to get out of the city and into the boonies.  About 20 minutes in, i quickly realized that we had a problem.  There was some serious action going on in the gastro-intestinal region and I was about to pass the point of no return, with no public building within a 10 minute ride.  It was at this juncture, combined with the heat, I decided to turn around and just run some circuits in the neighborhood where I swam. 

My stomach problems never really went away and I just tried to ignore them as much as possible.  After I got home, I started to try to think through what was going on.  it didn't take long to put together the complete lack of  an even remotely healthy diet.  All i had eaten on Saturday pre-workout was a fruit smoothie.  The meals that I have been eating, on the other hand, have been far from “nutritional" :

-Pork Shoulder, Cole Slaw, Baked Beans and Macaroni & Cheese Casserole

DSC_0193

-Costco Burgers, complete with grilled onion, bacon, Heinz 57, and the sole veggie, lettuce (which is really more like 97% water, but whose counting)

DSC_0197

 

After looking at these pictures, and thinking through the whole ‘training routine’ I think it might be time that I make some dietary changes…Just Sayin’

 

*just a heads up, I just purchased some Rudy Rydon Photochromatic Riding Glasses from Try Sports-Raleigh and they absolutely rock.  I might have to do a little behind the scenes on them in a bit.

Stay Classy Tri-World

2 comments:

jaime said...

oh gosh...I feel your GI pain. I had my gallbladder out 3 years ago and those food pictures made my belly hurt just looking at them. glad to hear(read?) you still got a workout in. :) hope all is well and that summer classes aren't killing you too badly!

Rainmaker said...

I see plenty of veggies...looks legit to me!